sql failover

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon May 15 15:31:30 CEST 2017

On May 15, 2017, at 9:13 AM, Richard J Palmer <richard at merula.net> wrote:
> I think this is where I am going wrong.
>
> The aim is I want FR to handle the failover - We should be using the primary SQL server at all times UNLESS it fails.

  Which means that the secondary has to be available *instantly* when the primary fails.

  A secondary fail-over system will take time to notice, and then FreeRADIUS will think that *both* servers are down.

> MS SQL is set as a mirrored pair (nothing to do with FR) the 'Live' Server will answer queries - the backup will allow connections BUT the queries will fail.
> IF the primary fails the backup automatically allows queries and the primary will not

  As I said, doing that will just cause problems.

  If you're going to handle the fail-over at the SQL level, then the SQL level should handle fail-over.

  Configure an SQL proxy with fail-over, and then have FreeRADIUS point to the proxy.

  Two sets of fail-over is a recipe for disaster.

> The issue is the startup of the modules that is causing the issue given that the Database on sql2 is not available unless it is the 'live' server

  As I said, there is a fix for that.

  As I also said, doing two sets of fail-over is bad.  Don't do it.  It will CREATE problems, not solve them.