Recursive string expansion

Dan Breslau dbreslau at painless-security.com
Fri May 26 22:43:50 CEST 2017

I have an issue with recursive string expansion -- that is, it is
recursing in a situation where I'd rather it didn't. Specifically, with
freeradius 3.0.13, in policy.d/moonshot_targeted_ids, if I set

targeted_id_salt = '${changeme'

then I get the error:

Fri May 26 20:23:37 2017 : Error:
/etc/freeradius/policy.d/moonshot-targeted-ids[40]: Reference
"${changeme%{tolower}" not found
Fri May 26 20:23:37 2017 : Error: Failed expanding section name
Fri May 26 20:23:37 2017 : Error:
/etc/freeradius/policy.d/moonshot-targeted-ids[41]: Failed allocating
memory for section
Fri May 26 20:23:37 2017 : Error: Errors reading or parsing
/etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf

This seems to be a reference to these two lines (starting at line 40) :

         if (&outer.request:GSS-Acceptor-Host-Name) {
                 if ("%{echo:/usr/bin/uuid -v 5
${policy.moonshot_host_namespace}
%{tolower:%{User-Name}}${policy.targeted_id_salt}%{tolower:%{outer.request:GSS-Acceptor-Host-Name}}}"
=~ /^([^ ]+)([ ]*)$/) {

So it definitely looks like ${policy.targeted_id_salt} is expanded once,
and then something attempts to expand the expanded string, which fails
because '${changeme' is invalid xlat syntax.

I haven't found any user documentation indicating whether string
expansion is recursive. I did find an older post by Arran where he says
that "rlm_sql does recursive xlat" (see
(http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2009-April/037249.html).
This makes me wonder whether this behavior is decided upon by the
module's implementer.

If there is a way to prevent this behavior (i.e., force a string to be
expanded non-recursively), I'd love to hear about it. I'd be happy to
file a bug (or feature request) if that would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Dan Breslau