ntlm_auth woes

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Mon May 29 14:23:19 CEST 2017

Hi Alan,

On 29 May 2017 12:53
>On May 28, 2017, at 4:16 PM, Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm running freeradius 2.1.12
>  Why?  That's 6 years old, and is horribly out of date.

That's what Ubuntu 14.04's package manager tells me is available. The server is due to be rebuilt as CentOS in a few weeks..

>> ntlm_auth works fine from the command line, using username and password,
>  As root?  or as the "radiusd" user?

I tried both, but it seems it's when I try chap authentication (using challenge and nt-response arguments) with ntlm_auth is when it breaks.

>  FreeRADIUS is just running ntlm_auth and getting an answer.  No amount of poking FreeRADIUS
> will fix this, as the problem is somewhere from ntlm_auth on down...

Thank you for the pointers. According to winbindd in debug mode, something is going wrong with the 'crap/chap' authentication, causing the failure.

I'll get my coat and head over to samba land...

Many thanks,

Tim