FreeRadius EAP-TTLS Troubleshooting

Smith, James james.smith at saabsensis.com
Tue May 30 23:31:48 CEST 2017

FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.4

Hello,
I'm new to the FreeRadius community and would like to start by saying hello. I'm working on a FreeRadius issue and am having some trouble figuring out what exactly is going on so I'm going to try to post here to see if there is a possible solution.

We are utilizing FreeRadius for EAP-TTLS authentication with Siemens radios and I'm not able to get our radio to register with the base station. Certificates are installed on the radio, base station and radius server. I've included the Radius -X output to an text file and have it attached.

I've looked through the debug file and I'm noticing that the radio is getting through part of the authentication then is failing when it tries to authorize the radio. The error seems like it would be easy to translate but nothing seems to be incorrect in my files regarding the client.conf so I'm having a hard time figuring out why the radio is unable to authorize. The actual error message states "No Auth type found:" rejects the user then says "Login Incorrect".

Note: I changed the actual passwords using the Find/Replace function. The client that is failing is CPE4 at siemens.com<mailto:CPE4 at siemens.com> and it begins authentication as the Debug (7) in the debug log. The first reject happens in Debug (11) (I highlighted in red where the reject message begins.)

Any help would be appreciated and if you have any questions at all, please let me know.

Best Regards,
James Smith

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain information that is company confidential or privileged. Any technical data in this message may be exported only in accordance with the U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 CFR Parts 120-130) or the Export Administration Regulations (15 CFR Parts 730-774). Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message. If you have received this email in error, please delete it, and advise the sender immediately.