Freeradius and Role based access control

Tony Pedley tpedley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 16:46:57 CET 2017

Sorry, this is a bit of a newbie question, but something I have been trying
to work out for a while

IEC 62351 specifies that access permission to a device is based on the
authentication of the user and also the role(s) associated with that user.

To allow us to use RADIUS to authenticate an access request, we would the
radius server to authenticate both the user name password, but also whether
the the user has the rights to the role requested. Their does not seem to
be any obvious attribute to pass requested role information to a freeradius
server, so what is generally the merthod to implement Role Based access
control via Radius?