new freeradius setup

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Thu Oct 26 11:49:10 CEST 2017

On Thu, 2017-10-26 at 01:16 +0000, Andrew Meyer via Freeradius-Users
wrote:
> So I deleted everything like you suggested.  I then went back into
> the /etc/raddb/radiusd.conf and made the following change:

What version of FreeRADIUS are you using, and how are you installing
it, what OS?

In the standard config, those settings go in sites-available/default,
and are there by default. So once again you shouldn't be doing that.

Follow the getting started guide. You need to do very little for the
test you are running to work.

The default configuration already has a virtual server defined, so
there's no reason to add that.

The default config already listens on localhost, there's no reason to
add that.

The only thing that's not enabled in the default config is a user, as
that would be a security issue. So you just need to add that.

Really, it should be this simple:

Download and unpack the source for 3.0.15 from http://freeradius.org/re
leases/

./configure
make
make install

edit the users file (/usr/local/etc/raddb/users) and add a new user
'bob' as a line at the top, like:

bob Cleartext-Password := "hello"

start the daemon

/usr/local/sbin/radiusd -X

and run radtest

/usr/local/bin/radtest bob hello 127.0.0.1 0 testing123

That's it.

--
Matthew