Poll of opinions for new keyword

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Sep 7 08:28:20 CEST 2017

New functionality is being added in v4.0.x to allow new sub-requests to be generated by requests received by the server.

The basic format is:

<keyword> [virtual-server.]<packet-type> {
	<sub-request-attr0> := <parent attr0>
	<sub-request-attr1> += <parent attr1>
	<sub-request-attrN> += <parent attrN>
}

There's debate about what <keyword> should be, and whether there should be multiple <keywords> for async - where we split the lifetime of the sub-request from its parent, and synchronous behaviour - where we wait for the sub-request to return before we continue processing.

The original keyword was "fork", and has since been changed to "create".  Do people have any opinions on what the easiest to infer and most consistent keyword to use here would be?

Some other ideas were "spawn", and "child".

There's no guarantee that the most popular keyword/idea will be used, but it'll at least inform us of general public opinion :)

-Arran