not able to install FR 3.0.16+git in (pure) Debian 9

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Sep 8 18:55:58 CEST 2017

On Sep 8, 2017, at 11:24 AM, Martin Pauly <pauly at hrz.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> IMO, there one good idea in the Debian approach:
> Treat security fixes sperately from any functional changes.
> No matter what improvements a new version brings, you almost
> always want to have a stable, secure environment you can build
> your next enhancement on.

  That's fine... but the result is that *we* take the hit of supporting their users who refuse to upgrade.

  There are people who complain about bugs, get told they're already fixed in newer versions, and then complain that they MUST use the upstream distribution.

  Well, if you won't upgrade and they won't support you, why is it *my* problem?  Don't complain to me if you stapled your feet to the floor.

> E.g. Debian packaging was broken at least
> twice in the FR 3.0.x series. I don't complain about that at all,
> but having an intermediate, (security-)bugfix-only release would
> give all the production sites out there a very clear and simple
> path to *quickly* cope with security issues.
>
> Just a suggestion, though, and surely not a new idea.

  It's what most distributions do... and it creates problems for us.  They don't care, because they're not affected by it.