not able to install FR 3.0.16+git in (pure) Debian 9

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Sep 9 17:53:41 CEST 2017

Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2017, at 11:24 AM, Martin Pauly <pauly at hrz.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
>>
>> IMO, there one good idea in the Debian approach:
>> Treat security fixes sperately from any functional changes.
>> No matter what improvements a new version brings, you almost
>> always want to have a stable, secure environment you can build
>> your next enhancement on.
>
> That's fine... but the result is that *we* take the hit of
> supporting their users who refuse to upgrade.
>
> There are people who complain about bugs, get told they're
> already fixed in newer versions, and then complain that they
> MUST use the upstream distribution.
>
> Well, if you won't upgrade and they won't support you, why is
> it *my* problem?  Don't complain to me if you stapled your feet
> to the floor.

Yes. I'm also fed up by Linux distribution packagers blaming me
for making new releases. This is a problem many open source
projects have.

And it really gets bizarre when people are insisting on using
binary packages because they already pay for a support contract
for an enterprise distribution but then blame upstream developers
for not providing a specific solution at no charge.

Ciao, Michael.