Authentication problems with some devices: TLS version too low

Lars Veldscholte lars at tuxplace.nl
Sat Sep 9 20:59:26 CEST 2017

I tried it using packages from sid, but that wouldn't compile on my
system (with dpkg-buildpackage). So initially I gave up, but currently
Buster is on the same OpenSSL version as Sid (1.1.0f-5), so I did the
same thing with the packages downloaded from apt source.

They built fine and I think my change in OpenSSL worked. I can
successfully connect using TLS1.0 (tested with openssl s_client -connect
google.com:443 -tls1). I should note that I haven't tested this *before*
(with the 'unmodded' OpenSSL) though, but I assume that the above test
would have failed.

However it did not have any effect on FreeRADIUS, I'm getting the same
error as before. Of course I did restart my FreeRADIUS service.

How can I check what libssl FreeRADIUS is using? I noticed that there
are two libssl versions installed on my system: libssl1.0.2 and
libssl1.1. I only made the change in libssl1.1. Could it be that
FreeRADIUS is using the former instead?

Thanks,

Lars