not able to install FR 3.0.16+git in (pure) Debian 9

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Sep 11 10:39:44 CEST 2017

Martin Pauly wrote:
> Am 09.09.2017 um 17:56 schrieb Michael Ströder:
>>> No matter what improvements a new version brings, you almost
>>> always want to have a stable, secure environment you can build
>>> your next enhancement on.
>
> quite pracitcal: my current, well running instance minus newly
> discovered security issues. Cf. my other post about why
> selective security-only updates would make sense for many
> productive sites.

You stripped my response text completely and you're basically
missing the point.

Upstream developers often do provide minimal updates but
distributions (especially Debian) fall way behind the releases
which leads to insanely large update gaps. They try to "fix" that
by back-porting patches claiming that these old but patched
releases are more "stable" (without giving a clear definition of
"stable").

IMO this approach neither is stable nor secure. Repeating this
"stable" claim over and over does not make it become true. And it
wastes a lot of time.

Ciao, Michael.