EAP-TLS: Strategies for getting the right certificate to the right user

Alan Buxey alan.buxey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 17:22:21 CEST 2017

commercial solutions abound - cloudpath ES, Aruba Clearpass, etc etc.

if you have a deployment tool (to ensure IOS/OSX devices are locked
down etc then you can roll our EAP-TLS with that - likewise Windows
deployment tools for MS product line - Chromebooks via Googles MPM etc
- Android is the curve ball.

if you have a totally independent BYOD (which you dont because you
have to set these clients up ;-) ) then things become more interesting
(and its difficult to have a half-managed BYOD solution as most of the
management platforms are a 'take all of our policies' or 'our policy
overrides everything else'
or you cant have 2 policies).

captive portal (well, walled garden really) allowing only access to
the configuration tool is one way.... that could be open SSID, or
EAP-PEAP/TTLS based with
a public cert and a known local user/pass that is known - after all,
this is only getting you onto the walled garden.....so long as there
is then some other
enrollment process to get you a cert.  have written little utils that
people log into and then receive a freshly minted cert - open source
solutions exist
but , to be honest, if you cannot afford the big commercial players
than something like http://802.1x-config.org/ (same underlying tool as
the free-for-eduroam-users)
will be of use...

alan