rlm_rest performance / thread usage

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 12 14:18:19 CEST 2017

On Sep 12, 2017, at 7:41 AM, Бенджамин Томпсон <b.thompson at latera.ru> wrote:
> I would like to ask whether there is likely to be any performance
> difference beteween these two solutions. rlm_perl is performing well for us
> and as I understand it runs in a multithreaded mode whereby multple perl
> instances can be created by multiple server threads. I would like to ask
> whether the rlm_rest module is likely to offer as good as or better
> performance as we are currently getting with rlm_perl.

  I would say that the REST module has better performance than Perl.  For the simple reason that it's doing less work.

  i.e. it's *only* doing REST.  The Perl module has an entire Perl interpreter, overhead, etc.

> Also, I would like
> to understand whether it is necessary to configure multiple instances of
> rlm_rest and put them for example in a load_balance section in order to get
> the best performance.

  It shouldn't be necessary.  You should only use a load-balance section if you need to load-balance requests across multiple back-ends.

  i.e. when the back-end is slower than FreeRADIUS.