Question about dictionaries

Peter Lambrechtsen peter at crypt.nz
Tue Sep 19 23:30:27 CEST 2017

As per the dictionary file in your raddb directory:

#       As of version 3.0.2, FreeRADIUS will automatically
#       load the main dictionary files from
#
#               ${prefix}/share/freeradius/dictionary
#
#       It is no longer necessary for this file to $INCLUDE
#       the main dictionaries.  However, if the $INCLUDE
#       line is here, nothing bad will happen.

So whatever is in your radiusd.conf pointing to ${prefix} typically:

radiusd.conf:
prefix = /usr

Then in the /usr/share/freeradius/dictionary will have a lot of $INCLUDE
statements for every dictionary.

But just because when starting radiusd -X doesn't show all dictionaries,
doesn't mean they aren't being loaded.

including dictionary file /usr/share/freeradius/dictionary
including dictionary file /usr/share/freeradius/dictionary.dhcp
including dictionary file /usr/share/freeradius/dictionary.vqp

So unless you have commented out the $INCLUDE statement in the
/usr/share/freeradius/dictionary file it will load all the dictionaries in
that directory specified by the $INCLUDE statement.