ERROR: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) found for the request: Rejecting the user

Adam Cage adamcage27 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 17:07:29 CEST 2017

Dear Alan, I've followed your advice and it works OK, but not in the way I
want:

- Virtual server defined in /etc/freeradius/sites-available/ips

- This virtual server file has the following authentication section:

authenticate {
        ntlm_auth

- When I try to login the user, I get the error:

ERROR: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) found for the request: Rejecting
the user
Failed to authenticate the user.

But if I edit /etc/freeradius/users file adding at top (and maintaining the
ntlm_auth line in the virtual server file):

DEFAULT     Auth-Type = ntlm_auth

now the users can authenticate and login OK !!!

Please can you tell me why the first configuration doesn't work ??? Do I
have to use the "DEFAULT     Auth-Type = ntlm_auth" in order to put to work
the authentication ??? Take into account I've followed your "Authentication
with Active Directory" tutorial.

Thanks a lot,

ADAM