How group works in Radius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Aug 31 14:45:57 CEST 2018

> On Aug 31, 2018, at 7:39 AM, Somanath Mishra <somanath.mishra at planetsbrain.com> wrote:
>   We are using Freeradius3. So basic authentication,authorization,
> accounting is working. We created group in radgroupcheck. On Register
> user we are storing username with group in radusergroup. So still we
> are not getting groupname in radacct table. So in debug we found
> radius only not sending groupname when it is giving input to radacct.

 No, you found that the accounting packets don't contain the group name.

> We need group for users . Can anyone explain me on how it works for
> group?

 Accounting packets are entirely independent from authentication packets.  If you want to get the user's group when the server receives the accounting packet, you must do the group lookup again.

 The server doesn't magically know the user's group when it receives the authentication packet.  It has to look up the group in SQL.  So... the same thing goes for accounting packets.