FreeRadius with EAP-TLS on windows 7, certs installed but not sent out.

luckydog xf luckydogxf at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 06:24:03 CET 2018

Try lots of time and make below conclusion for anyone who may run into the
same situation reference.

1.  NO traffic on Supplicant( win7) and NAS( AC/AP) UNLESS you setup eap
correctly. That's expected. The first packet is DHCP request until you pass
authentication.
2. Windows is nnlike Linux, it requires a combination of cert and private
key, usually it's a p12 or pfx,  That's the root cause of my problem.
3.  {cadir}/certs is a great place and has tools generating certs that
requires by windows. Don't  ever try to use openssl CLI on your own,
Freeradius's is good enough.
4.  Extended Key Usage of cert for windows 7/10  is a must, and when you
enable mutul authentication, make sure you install CA on *Trusted Root
Certification Authorities store and select it.*

check
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/814394/certificate-requirements-when-you-use-eap-tls-or-peap-with-eap-tls

5. eapol_test is a good supplicant to test eap-tls.etc, pretty easy to
setup.

That's all.