Capacity calculation

Nathan Ward lists+freeradius at daork.net
Wed Dec 19 11:19:00 CET 2018

> On 19/12/2018, at 10:25 PM, Raghu nathan <raghu.vdm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Team,
>
> I want to understand how much TPS freeRADIUS will support for below
> configuration along with postgresql DB
>
> Consider postgresql is hosted separately without any capacity limitation.
>
> Option1 : 1GB RAM, 1core CPU
> Option2 : 2GB RAM, 1core CPU
> Option3 : 4GB RAM, 2core CPU
> Option4 : 8GB RAM, 2core CPU

That depends on:

1) Your configuration
2) Your vm contention (sounds like VMs)
3) Your IO, potentially
4) Your database speed - database is by *far* the slowest part of this
5) Packet types - auth? Accounting?
6) What is a “core”?
7) How fast is the RAM?

And many, many, many more factors.

To be clear - please do not answer the above questions - they are presented as a non-exhaustive list of factors.

You cannot get a reasonable answer on a question like this without testing it in your environment with your configuration etc.
This is why you’ll rarely find “benchmarks” or similar.

There are a myriad of ways to scale FreeRADIUS in almost any direction, depending on your workload. If you’ve been tasked with finding out if FreeRADIUS can handle your load the answer is almost certainly yes - but you may need to do some work to get it to, just as you would with any solution.

--
Nathan Ward