best performance alternative using multiple virtual server to bound IP/port

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 25 16:25:58 CEST 2018

On Jun 25, 2018, at 4:35 AM, Philemon Jaomalaza <philemon.jaomalaza at gmail.com> wrote:
> what the best practice and give best performance and memory usage

  The server uses as much memory as it needs.  You can't really optimize memory usage as with a database.

  Performance is a little more complex.  99% of performance issues are outside of the servers control.  e.g. databases, certificate validation, etc.

  make sure all *other* systems are optimized, and FreeRADIUS will be fine.  The bottleneck is rarely FreeRADIUS.

> if I want
> to have a separate service per client :
>
> - define multiple virtual servers with one global "listen" section IP/port
> for all virtual server.

  That's likely the simplest to understand.  It also means you can have different policies for each virtual server, if you need them.

> - define multiple virtual servers and each server has its listen section
> IP/port different

  I wouldn't do that.

> - define single virtual servers and use if ....elsif....else to select the
> proper sql module.

  That's simple (one virtual server), but the virtual server is more complex with if / then / else.  It works, but I wouldn't do it myself.