No subject

Hailun Tan dearambermini at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 04:57:14 CEST 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 11:24 AM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2018, at 9:09 PM, Hailun Tan <dearambermini at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do not think the answer in the previous link was clear.
>
>   It doesn't explain *why* PAM works the way it does.  But it explains
> what's happening, and how to fix it.
>
>   PAM problems?  Ask the PAM people
>
> > The only viable solution in the link above is that having another local
> > user  with the same name then it will fix the problem. Yes, it does fix
> the
> > problem. But what is the point to have radius server if  a local user is
> > required  for radius to work?
>
>   The point is that you can specify a users password (or OTP) via RADIUS.
>
>   If you read the PAM documentation, it says that PAM doesn't supply UID,
> GID, shell, home directory, etc.  PAM only does username / password
> checking.  And some session logging.
>
> >  Considering that there are thousands of
> > radius clients to hookup with one radius server, having a local user for
> > each of these clients for such user to work does not make sense.
>
>   That's what LDAP is for.  Put the users into LDAP.  Configure NSS &&
> LDAP.  That gets you UID, GID, etc.  Then do username / password checking
> via RADIUS.

I am new in the Radius  concept. So  the users in Radius server cannot be
processed as those in LDAP because the users in Radius are not configured
with UID/GID, etc? On the other hand, Radius cannot completely take the
role of LDAP?

So i wonder if PAM is not used for username/ password checking, in that
case,  Does the UID/GID missing in Radius user matter? In that way, can
Radius server replace LDAP?

Thanks again for your advice.