right tutorial

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jun 26 16:27:50 CEST 2018

> On Jun 26, 2018, at 10:19 AM, Martin Edge <medge at emersion.com> wrote:
>
> Alan,
>
> I have been on the list awhile now - and politely I do find you a little abrasive,

  Sure.  That's largely due to 20 years of messages like "Read the docs.  Yes, I really meant read the docs.  No, don't do anything else.  Did you read the docs?"

  <sigh>

  This list isn't for coddling people or making friends.  It's for solving technical problems.  That means technical answers to technical questions.

  People who don't ask technical questions, and who don't follow technical answers are a problem.

> i do appreciate and understand why you take the route you do. It in most cases helps direct those to think for themselves.

  Yup.  As I've said repeatedly, I'm not going to cut & paste answers from the documentation.  That isn't rude.  It's practical.

> Honestly after yesterday’s traffic I considered contacting you directly to understand why you take the heavy hand, but hey it’s your list, not for me to judge.

  The first few messages from me are always polite and helpful.  After about 5 rounds of "no, READ THE DOCS", I get a little more short with people.

  That isn't going to change.

> I did feel the same when you helped (?) me, but hey I figured it out and my problem was solved.

  I don't want to hurt peoples feelings.  But...

  Good IT people should be able to put their ego aside when reading the docs or when asking questions.  When I ask questions on another list, I'm sure to ask *good* questions, and to *read the docs* they tell me to read.

  And funny enough, that usually means I solve the problem.

> If you are ever in Australia- would love to catch up to meet you in person,

  No fixed plans, but who knows?