right tutorial

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:31:25 CEST 2018

On 06/26/18 14:58, Alan DeKok wrote:
>> On Jun 26, 2018, at 9:43 AM, Martin Edge <medge at emersion.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well that “escalante”d quickly.
>    Well, it took 30 messages of him making some progress before he was warned about his unproductive behaviour.  And as soon as he was warned, he doubled down on being inappropriate.
>
>    It's really quite simple.  Follow instructions, and the problem will be solved.  It doesn't take 30 messages to add a user to SQL and get it working.
>
>    He didn't do what he was asked to do.  He didn't answer questions people had for him.  He read documentation and then did something *else*.  He rarely posted the debug output.
>
>    In short, he went out of his way to avoid solving the problem.  That's just not acceptable.
>
>    People sometimes worry about asking questions here.  There's no need.  Simple questions get simple responses.  That's 99% of the traffic on this list.
>
>    The more someone makes it clear they don't want help, the less likely we are to help them.
>
>    Alan DeKok.
>

> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

I admit when I first started with FR I did have some issues figuring
things out and understandably your responses Alan were quite short and
sharp. The documentation does cover how to get a "working" setup. Is it
to the point? In respect to does it suite everyone's use case; *no*!
Different installations/requirements need different things, be it
backend or what have you; this requires some knowledge and understanding
of what you have and what you're trying to achieve and knowing the
different components to put together.

Following the list + docs most if not all of my questions have already
been answered so now without needing to ask basic questions I have a
nice working setup.

Generally reading many posts, mostly from newbies they always seem to
have a similar theme and questions or issues. The best thing to do is
*read* then work methodically through the examples, VM's are a nice
simple way to do this, then when running FR view the information output
and actually read and try to understand what it says.

So yes FR is awsome and the community is great and what I especially
like is Alan's responses are always a nice kick in the butt to make
people think for themselves and try to stand on their own two feed
rather then being "baby sitted". Though I think we need to find a nice
'bot' or automation system for trivial questions like "it doesn't work
help?" ..... Response: "Hello this is the FRad bot, Step 1. RTFM, Step
2. Read, Step 3. Think" :-P

Anyway my views and humor aside, thanks to everyone for all the help
directly and indirectly :-) :-)

Best Regards,

Kaya