purpose of xp extensions

d tbsky tbskyd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:48:03 CEST 2018

Hi:

   for many years I just follow the document: create certificate with
xp extensions and use group policy to deploy the CA. I never really
understand what is. now I have several stupid questions:

1. is the "xp" extensions means windows xp or something?

2. is xp extensions only useful if we want client to verify server certificate?

3. if we use certificate like let's encrypt without xp extensions.
what function do we miss? I know it is not very secure to use public
CA, but it seems easier when deal with mobile devices bring by users.
they just want to access wifi with their active directory
username/password.

thanks a lot for help!!