Radius acctstarttime

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Mar 25 00:12:41 CET 2018

On Mar 24, 2018, at 7:06 PM, Oscar Jofre <oscar at jofre.com> wrote:
> I thought that acctstarttime was set according the date time from the system
> where is installed freeradius (centos + mariadb for me)

  No.  Acct-Start-Time is sent by the NAS.  FreeRADIUS just writes it in the DB.

> But I've seen today some rows from today (according radacctid) with a
> different time stamp (1970-04-13):

  Because the time on the NAS is wrong.

> I had an incorrect date on the mikrotik from the example, just the same date
> that is on the database,

  Exactly.

> so then I thought that the acctstartime comes from
> router clock.

  It comes from the NAS.

> but the routers I have In Taiwan with Taiwan clock don't save
> on accstarttime the router clock, they still saving data according the
> system where I have installed freeradius.

  The NAS sends the time to FreeRADIUS as a 32-bit number.  NOT as a printable string.  And there's no time zone information.  FreeRADIUS takes this time, converts it to a string, and writes it to the DB.

  So if both the NAS and FreeRADIUS use NTP for the correct time, they should have the same time.