NULL password

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 4 14:26:11 CEST 2018

On Sep 4, 2018, at 8:10 AM, Dom Latter <freeradius-users at latter.org> wrote:

> Really?  That's a database NULL not a string containing those four
> letters..

  Well then say that.  I can't read your mind.

> The query returns a Cleartext-Password value of NULL.  Debug output subsequently returns:
>
> (115) Tue Sep  4 12:54:21 2018: Debug: sql: User found in radcheck table
> (115) Tue Sep  4 12:54:21 2018: Debug: sql: Conditional check items
> matched, merging assignment check items
> (115) Tue Sep  4 12:54:21 2018: Debug: sql:   Cleartext-Password := ""
>
> Is it possible to authenticate with an empty password string in any way?
>
> MSCHAPv2 is the backend.

  Yes.  If they enter an empty password.

> I have been trying to test this both with a real device and with tools,
> and although it seems a blank password gets rejected I would like to
> know...

  It depends on the client.

>>   It's better to just remove the Cleartext-Password attribute from the database.
>
> Not really an option.

  It's a database... you can put different things in it.  Or, delete things from it.

> We are using encrypted passwords [1] which are decrypted before being
> passed to freeradius.  When new users are created they are sent a link
> which enables them to set a new password.  Before this is used we'd like
> to have a placeholder value something like "not set yet".  As this is
> not decryptable the query returns a NULL value.

  If you want to put garbage into the database, then you will get garbage results.  If you want the system to behave properly, then put good data into the database.