Debian Stretch: No radutmp file though seeing Accounting message at network level

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Sep 14 12:54:21 CEST 2018

On Sep 14, 2018, at 6:45 AM, Olivier <oza.4h07 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently testing SimultaneousUse setting in WPA2 Enterprise WiFi
> environment.
> I'm quite new to Radius (both concepts and implementations).
>
> After reading this (very interesting) document [1], I assigned myself a
> first step: seeing useful data through radwho command, no matter if
> Freeradius relied on a completely different source on input to implement
> SimultaneousUse feature.
>
> In my testing, I'm having:
> # radwho
> Fri Sep 14 12:28:55 2018 : Error: Unable to check file
> "/var/log/freeradius/radutmp": No such file or directory
> radwho: Error reading /var/log/freeradius/radutmp: No such file or directory

  Then the server isn't (a) receiving account requests, or maybe (b) it isn't writing those packets to the radutmp file.

> 1. I read in [2] then that /var/log/freeradius/radutmp is created by
> Freeradius whenever it receives accounting data.
> Is it correct on Debian Stretch when package's config is mostly  left
> unchanged ?

  I have no idea what Debian has done to their packages.  Ideally, as little as possible.  But...

> 2. At network level, I see that my WiFi AP are sending Account-Request and
> receiving back Account-Response. Does it prove Freeradius's Accounting is
> turned on and running or shall I for instance, read this Response content ?
> Is there a better way to look at Freeradius "running features" ?

  There's the debug output.  All of the documentation says to look at this.  Including the message you get when you join the list.

  http://wiki.freeradius.org/list-help