FreeRadius sends Access-Reject for MAC-AUTH, if shared secret on NAS and server differ

Phani Siriki yvsg.phanis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 01:43:03 CEST 2019

Hi Alan

Need some inputs on Message-Authenticator attribute. For PAP, Is it
recommended to send this attribute from NAS? RFC 3579 says it is not
required but can prevent other attacks.

>From RFC 2869:
=============

Access-Request packets with a User-Password establish the identity of
   both the user and the NAS sending the Access-Request, because of the
   way the shared secret between NAS and RADIUS server is used.
   Access-Request packets with CHAP-Password or EAP-Message do not have
   a User-Password attribute, so the Message-Authenticator attribute
   should be used in access-request packets that do not have a User-
   Password, in order to establish the identity of the NAS sending the
   request.

>From RFC 3579:

This attribute is not required in Access-Requests which include
      the User-Password attribute, but is useful for preventing attacks
      on other types of authentication.  This attribute is intended to
      thwart attempts by an attacker to setup a "rogue" NAS, and perform
      online dictionary attacks against the RADIUS server.

Best Regards
Phani