freeradius with UNIFI APs

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Thu Aug 15 21:15:37 CEST 2019

> On 15 Aug 2019, at 14:22, Elias Pereira <empbilly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Arran, You can configure the vlans directly in freeradius and then in unifi
> controller check "Enable RADIUS assigned VLAN for wireless network". We
> have it here and it works perfectly.

This was for the FreeRADIUS/Network RADIUS office where all the octopuses live, we know how to do dynamic VLAN assignment ;)

"Enable RADIUS assigned VLAN for wireless network" was enabled for the SSID in question, but again, dynamic VLAN assignments only started working correctly after we'd added the VLANs as networks in the Unifi controller.

Maybe this was just a coincidence, and the APs just had to warm up to the fact they were going to be assigning VLANs dynamically, I've certainly had issues with them not passing traffic correctly when VLANs are assigned for the first time. It's probably something about how the VLAN interfaces are dynamically instantiated on the APs.  I've never looked into how hostapd actually does it... Maybe it doesn't and it's all proprietary Ubiquiti code.  I know for a long time they didn't even support dynamic VLAN assignment, which suggests it wasn't just a configuration option in hostapd.conf.

I'm glad they finally added it though, along with some of the accounting fixes I suggested.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS Development Team