issues with radius proxy settings

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Aug 26 14:55:17 CEST 2019

On Aug 26, 2019, at 2:52 AM, Prem Khanal <prem.khanal at n4l.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to configure robust proxy account
> following the steps in
> https://networkradius.com/doc/3.0.10/raddb/sites-available/robust-proxy-accounting.html
> .
> I have only changed the IP and secret of a home home server to test if the
> configuration is working. But the proxy is not happening. Means the
> accounting packets are not forwarded to the home server.

  And what does the debug output say?

  This isn't difficult.

> Then I tried
>
> nmap -sU -p 1813 <home server IP>
>
> which returned a success

  Which is entirely useless.  And, a waste of your time.

  If you're going to debug a RADIUS server, then debug the *RADIUS SERVER*.  Don't run random other tools.

  The documentation is EXTREMELY CLEAR on how to debug a FreeRADIUS configuration.  NOTHING in the documentation says to run "nmap".

> I believe I have added the relevant services to sites-enabled and
> mods-enabled ( attached are the screen shots ).

  Stop wasting our time.

  The documentation says DO NOT POST HTE CONFIGURATION.  The documentation also says DO NOT POST SCREEN SHOTS.

  Honestly, I have no idea why *anyone* would think it's a good idea to post images of text.  Is cut & paste too difficult?

> strace -Ff -tt freeradius -X 2>&1 | tee strace-freeradius.log

  That's also a waste of your time.  Why "strace?"

> and when checking the log file I couldn't see any attempt to communicate
> with the home server specified in robust-proxy-accounting configuration
> file. The only entry I found for proxy is ( not sure what does this mean )
>
> [pid 36713] 18:23:42.431513 write(1, "(2)   Proxy-State = 0x3334\n", 27(2)
>  Proxy-State = 0x3334

  The Wiki has clear instructions for how to read and understand the debug output:

http://wiki.freeradius.org/radiusd-X

> Do I need to update default file to make robust proxy work? All other
> settings are default.  Kindly guide me if I am missing some configuration.

  I've spent 20 years writing TONS of documentation for the server.  Pretty much everything you're trying to do is extensively documented.

  So yes, I *tried* to guide you by writing that documentation.  Why are you ignoring the documentation?