Eduroam and setting identity privacy in Windows

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Fri Feb 8 17:47:31 CET 2019

On Fri, 2019-02-08 at 16:36 +0000, Jim Potter wrote:
> What I would like to achieve is authentication to happen
> invisibly where possible - our laptops would perform machine
> authentication, users would log in and would re-authenticate to
> wireless invisibly (currently each user needs to set up the wireless
> connection on each device the use - this is really bad from a user
> experience point of view, especially for students using laptops from
> a bank). Has anyone else had any success doing anything like this?

So you probably need to set up EAP-TLS to authenticate using a
certificate, rather than logging in with a username/password.

Convenient if they're domain-joined, as the certificate handling is all
done for you.

> Computer authentication comes in the form
> host/mypc.bathspa.ac.uk and users in the format DOMAIN\myusername,
> not myusername at bathspa.ac.uk as required by eduroam.

You need to push group policy onto the Windows laptops to force them to
do this. It's certainly possible from what I remember, but you're
right, there's nothing you can do on FreeRADIUS to force this, it's a
Windows issue.

> I've updated the policy files on FreeRadius to authenticate the above
> formats successfully, but if staff are to be able to use their
> devices on remote eduroam sites, they need either their username ( at
> least their anonymous ID/identity privacy name) to be sent in the
> format someone at bathspa.ac.uk

Exactly. Otherwise eduroam has nothing to go on when proxying the
authentication.

Also remember eduroam rules being you need to know who everyone is.
That generally means that you either use usernames and passwords (and
not a username per machine), or you use certificates and assign the
laptop for one person to use only. It pretty much rules out shared
laptops (unless they are used only on your own network, in which case
of course domain based login is fine as it will also stop them from
roaming.)

--
Matthew