Unexpected Disconnect Message to NAS

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Feb 18 16:42:02 CET 2019

On Feb 18, 2019, at 10:37 AM, Vladimir Cvetic <vcvetic.vc at gmail.com> wrote:
> I checked the NAS. The NAS is sending Acct-Status-Type = Interim-Update
> packets every 60 seconds and also the radacct table being updated
> continuously.
> But I can't see freeradius sending disconnect packets to the NAS.

  Then read the debug log as suggest in the "man" page, web pages, Wiki, and the message you get when you join this list.  Among many, many, other places.

> Does the login-time actually enforces disconnects or does it only check if
> the user is allowed to login at the time specified?

  Login-Time enforces Session-Timeout.  This is documented in the Wiki.

> Do I have to add the session-timeout value as an attribute to the
> reply-message? If yes, how.

  You can if you want.  But Login-Time and Max-Daily-Session should do that for you.

> In case the NAS is ignoring the session-timeout value I'd need to

  Throw your NAS in the garbage, and by a new NAS.

  Really.

  Session-Timeout goes back to 1992 or so.  A NAS which doesn't implement it is broken.

> disconnect from the freeradius side like I did for the max-daily-session?
>
> I have the impression that my freeradius is not sending any disconnect
> messages at all if I don't force to do so. Should rlm_sqlcounter force
> disconnects as well?

  No.

  Each module does one thing, and only one thing.  If you want to send disconnects, configure the server to send disconnects.  See raddb/sites-available/originate-coa for documentation.