AW: Multiple ldap instances - User Group Membership search not done

Florian Sus | indevis GmbH florian.sus at indevis.de
Wed Feb 27 15:35:18 CET 2019

Hi Alan,

thanks a lot for your fast reply!

Regarding the difference between admin users and customer read-only users I would like to do the following.

Admin user will authenticate with "firstname.lastname"
Customer RO users will authenticate with their e-mail address.

So for admins the realm and delimiter is not given and if I have read correctly I could use realm NULL and authenticate the realm NULL users against first ldap server.
All other users will have a realm which is unknown and should use the DEFAULT realm which I would like to have authenticated against the second ldap server.

I am very new to freeradius so I decided to have a step-by-step approach to the final configuration.
As my next step I would like to have configured two ldap servers (second ldap server can be dummy config for now) to see how I need to handle the configuration (eg. using <instancename>-LDAP-Group in unlang).
I guess to have the final working config I need to use an additional virtual server (one for admin users for realm NULL and the other one for customers realm DEFAULT) and proxy.conf, but that will be in the later steps.

To clarify: By "Then, add a *new* LDAP module" you mean to *append* the config for second ldap server to the file .../mods-available/ldap in the form

ldap ldpa2 {

And I leave the existing config in the very same file for the first ldap server as it is.
For checking group membership of users from the first ldap server I need to use

if (LDAP-Group == "Groupname") {

And for checking group memebership of users from second ldap server I need to use

If (ldap2-LDAP-Group == "other-Groupname") {

Do you need to have one ldap server instance unnamed and the other ones as named ldap servers?

Thanks again and best regards, Florian