Free Radius HA

Martin Gignac martin.gignac at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:42:43 CET 2019

>  Can we configure  HA Active - Active or Active-Passive for free-radius.

At work I've setup three FreeRADIUS servers that each connect to the same
backend DB. Since one of the NAS I am using only supports one configured
RADIUS server IP, I used uCARP on the three RADIUS servers to advertise a
VIP that is only active on one of the servers at a time and I point the NAS
to that VIP. That way, if the host where the VIP is currently active
suddenly dies or encounters a network issue, the VIP should move seamlessly
to another of the remaining RADIUS servers. It's not perfect, nor as
resilient to a load balancer pair that does health checking since uCARP
won't account for a RADIUS server process that dies (while the host stays
up), but I think it's good enough for our environment for now.

Perhaps this can give you some ideas.

Regards,
-Martin