Proxy issue - Failing proxied request for user error

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Jul 21 13:54:41 CEST 2019

On Jul 21, 2019, at 4:53 AM, James Wood <james.wood at purplewifi.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info about recv_buff
>
> What exactly does this do?

   It sets the receive buffer on a per-application basis.

> Does it need to be set to allow more UDP
> requests and thus prevent dropped packets, even if I've increased the
> kernel udp values as described?

  It sets the same thing, but on a per application basis.

> Is 65536 the default even though its commented out by default?
>
> What if I set it to 0, is that  no limit?

  For both, see your OS documentation.  FreeRADIUS is just setting a value in the kernel.  FreeRADIUS doesn't define what those values do.

> Is there a way in FreeRADIUS to tell if the buffers are full? radmin or
> similar?

  No.  There is no dependable way to query how much of the buffer is used.

  Linux exports /proc/net/udp with some statistics.  But to read that, the application has to parse large amounts of text.  Other operating systems don't even have that.

  Since RAM is *much* cheaper than human salaries, your best bet is to set the recv_buff to a large value, and leave it at that.