clarification on eap configuration files and certificates

Marco Santantonio marco.santantonio at unito.it
Wed Jun 19 15:04:19 CEST 2019

hi all,

I have some doubts about eap module configuration file.

In my organization we use a public CA for radius server certificates. The
freeradius version is 3.0.12 from debian stable repository.

What's the difference between:
1)  setting only the server certificate in "certificate_file" and using
"ca_file" to indicate the certificate of authority that issued
"certificate_file"
OR
2) set in "certificate_file" not only the server certificate, but also all
of the CA certificates used to sign the server certificate and comment
"ca_file" (this is my current configuration)

I ask you this question because the ultimate goal is to deny use of EAP-TLS
and allow only PEAP.

I have read various posts with different solutions and I am a bit confused.

Thank you!

Marco