Deploying FreeRadius against Active Directory

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 1 13:49:20 CET 2019

On Mar 1, 2019, at 1:43 AM, Mathieu Simon (Lists) <matsimon.lists at simweb.ch> wrote:
> The guide should still work as is, nothing has dramatically changed that
> I could spot.

  Yes.  I check it occasionally against new releases of Samba.

> Unless wbinfo and ntlm_auth from Samba do work as
> indicated there, you likely will have to debug Samba and the domain join
> on the Samba side before looking more closely into FreeRADIUS.

  That really is the critical thing.  The major problem people run into is the following kind of question:

Q:  "I changed six things by following a guide, and it didn't work.  What's wrong?"

A: "Damned if I know."

  That's why my guide is split into many short pieces.  The goal is to get people to do one step at a time.  If that step doesn't work... don't go to the next step.

> TL;DR: Try to identify where you are running into issues - is it Samba
> or FreeRADIUS at first?

  Exactly.

Q:  "Stuff is wrong.  What do I change?"

A: "Other stuff?"

  Most people don't know this, but my background is nuclear physics.  I had a methodical approach pretty much beaten into my (and the other grad students) by the professors.  That approach is really the only way to solve complex problems.