Systemctl start issue on Freeradius 3.0.19

Giuseppe Russo giuseppe.russo at mediacommunications.it
Thu May 2 20:06:35 CEST 2019

Hello,
I installed Freeradius 3.0.19 on centos 7.
Everything is working properly but if I start the service with systemctl start radius the service remain in “activating” status:

radiusd.service - FreeRADIUS multi-protocol policy server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/radiusd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: activating (start) since Thu 2019-05-02 19:52:38 CEST; 31s ago
     Docs: man:radiusd(8)
           man:radiusd.conf(5)
           http://wiki.freeradius.org/
           http://networkradius.com/doc/
  Process: 6786 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown -R root /usr/local/var/run/radiusd (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 6784 ExecStartPre=/usr/local/sbin/radiusd $FREERADIUS_OPTIONS -Cx -lstdout (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 6792 (radiusd)
   Memory: 8.5M (limit: 2.0G)
   CGroup: /system.slice/radiusd.service
           └─6792 /usr/local/sbin/radiusd

This is the content of the radiusd.service file:

[Unit]
Description=FreeRADIUS multi-protocol policy server
After=network-online.target
Documentation=man:radiusd(8) man:radiusd.conf(5) http://wiki.freeradius.org/ http://networkradius.com/doc/

[Service]
Type=notify
WatchdogSec=60
NotifyAccess=all
PIDFile=/usr/local/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.pid
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/sysconfig/radiusd

# FreeRADIUS can do static evaluation of policy language rules based
# on environmental variables which is very useful for doing per-host
# customization.
# Unfortunately systemd does not allow variable substitutions such
# as %H or $(hostname) in the EnvironmentFile.
# We provide HOSTNAME here for convenience.
Environment=HOSTNAME=%H

# Limit memory to 2G this is fine for %99.99 of deployments.  FreeRADIUS
# is not memory hungry, if it's using more than this, then there's probably
# a leak somewhere.
MemoryLimit=2G

RuntimeDirectory=radiusd
RuntimeDirectoryMode=0775
ExecStartPre=/usr/local/sbin/radiusd $FREERADIUS_OPTIONS -Cx -lstdout
ExecStartPre=-/bin/chown -R root /usr/local/var/run/radiusd
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/radiusd $FREERADIUS_OPTIONS
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Can you tell me how to solve this problem?

Thank you

Giuseppe