Problems getting along with Open Directory

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 1 15:00:43 CEST 2019

On Sep 30, 2019, at 6:24 PM, Philip Ershler <philip.ershler at utah.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to use LDAP access to Open Directory on a 10.14.6 machine. I installed Freeradius from MacPorts. I am attempting to use Freeradius to authenticate wireless users. If I make the following edit to /opt/local/etc/raddb/mods-config/files/authorize, I can make a wireless connection without problems.
> (30) mschap: WARNING: No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create NT-Password
> (30) mschap: WARNING: No Cleartext-Password configured.  Cannot create LM-Password
> (30) mschap: No NT-Password configured. Trying OpenDirectory Authentication
> (30) mschap: OD username_string = ershler, OD shortUserName=ershler (length = 7)
> (30) mschap: ERROR: rlm_mschap: authentication failed - status = eDSAuthMethodNotSupported

  That is unfortunately OpenDirectory magic.  We don't really know much about it, and it's difficult to help.  This is really a question for Apple.

  You have to configure OpenDirectory properly.  What does that mean?  We're not sure.  OpenDirectory is from Apple, not us.

  Apple does have some documentation available at:

https://developer.apple.com/support/macos-server/macOS-Server-Service-Migration-Guide.pdf

  That may help.