Upgrading to newest Radius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 29 14:46:35 CET 2019

On Oct 29, 2019, at 9:37 AM, Dario Coltri <Dario.Coltri at agsm.it> wrote:

> Hi, we are actually running to 1.01 version of Freeradius and we would like to upgrade our server to the newest version available.
> Is There any problem transferring the 1.01 Freeradius Database Mysql to the newest version? How we can do it properly?

  You can't just use the same database with a newer version of the server.  That's what major version changes mean.

  The database tables are similar, but you will have to:

* add an "operator" column  (see the schema)
* assign values to the "operator" column (see rlm_sql in the wiki)
* change all uses of "Password" to "Cleartext-Password := ..."

  That's the bulk of it.  It *will* be a manual process.  It's impossible to automate it.