OCSP Response Signed by other CA

Mike DiBella mike at dibella.net
Thu Oct 31 19:09:49 CET 2019

In testing my OCSP responder configuration I've found that the following openssl command:

openssl ocsp -issuer client_cer_root.cer -cert client.cer -VAfile ocsp_signer.cer -url http://ocsp.responder.net/ocsp

returns:

Response verify OK
client.cer: good
        This Update: Oct 31 11:43:47 2019 GMT
        Next Update: Nov  2 00:03:47 2019 GMT

I see that there is a client keyword in the verify section of the eap configuration file.   I'm wondering if I can I substitute this command for the default openssl verify command prototyped in the file?

In my testing, it looks like openssl returns exit 0 for both verified and responder errors, so I'm wondering how freeradius parses the result of the command.