Is it possible to automate a Disconnect-Request based on exceeded Monthly-Usage?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 10 22:29:33 CEST 2019

On Sep 10, 2019, at 4:06 PM, Houman <houmie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have setup the FreeRadius like the following to prevent a user
> from logging in after his monthly usage has been exceeded.

  That's good.

> While this works fine, the user won't be disconnected after the
> monthly-usage has been exceeded. Instead only if the user disconnects
> voluntarily and tries to reconnect again would he be prevented.

  See sites-available/originate-coa

> So I'm trying to find a way to disconnect the user the moment his limit has
> been reached.

  That's what "originate-com" is for.

  The documentation isn't perfect, but it should be good.  When you receive an accounting request packet, check for over the limit, and if so, send a Disconnect-Request packet.

  You'll need to set up a home server, etc.

> After some research I have come across Dynamic Authorization extension and
> have enabled it like this:

  That's for *receiving* CoA packets.  You want the server to *send* CoA packets.

> Now I can disconnect myself from the command line, like this:
>
> *echo User-Name=houman | radclient -x 127.0.0.1:3799
> <http://127.0.0.1:3799> disconnect ''secret123''*

  Well, no.  You're sending FreeRADIUS a Disconnect-Request packet.  That doesn't send the packet to the NAS.  FreeRADIUS just goes "yup, I got a packet'.

  You still need to send the packet to the NAS.