CentOS 8 packages missing winbind support?

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Fri Apr 24 13:12:10 CEST 2020

On 23/04/2020 23:53, Nathan Ward wrote:
> I’ve asked some questions and am told that RH aren’t currently shipping a bunch of -devel packages “for good supportability and/or security reasons that we can't mitigate (I.e broken vendor implementations / orphaned upstream)”.
>
> Not sure exactly why Samba has been excluded.

Thanks for investigating. I couldn't see any obvious reasoning behind it.

> It’s still in the Samba spec file, at least on the CentOS git server. You could build the RPM from the SRPM and get a -devel package out, and install it from there.

Sure, I found that. Does seem a lot of effort to just get two constants
from a header file though. Here's hoping RH will put the package back.

There's always the solution of migrating to Debian or Ubuntu, rather
than upgrading to RHEL 8 :-)

--
Matthew

--