FR 3.0.21 : Failed adding proxy socket: Too many open sockets

Arnaud LAURIOU arnaud.lauriou at renater.fr
Wed Aug 19 11:50:53 CEST 2020

On 8/18/20 5:07 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:

>    I suspect that one of your home servers is down.  Limitations in RADIUS mean that the server can only send 256 packets on one socket before it needs to open a new socket.  So if a home server is down or slow, it might very well use 256 packets & 256 sockets, just to talk to one home server.
>
>    You may have to edit src/lib/packet.c as I suggested before.  But even that may not help if one of the home servers is down.

Well, I may have found home server guilty, a broken one. I'm
investigating ...
But :
- I don't understand why we didn't have this issue with our current FR
2.1 proxy using the same home servers list
and having 500 open udp sockets.
- It's difficult to prevent from all home servers down/slow or broken.

Is there a way to mitigate this issue ?
Close udp sockets ?
It seems that once this limit is reached the current sockets are never
closed and all new clients requests are rejected.

Regards,

Arnaud Lauriou