[rlm_rest] do not translate attribute values

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Fri Dec 18 00:03:35 CET 2020

On 17/12/2020 20:47, Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2020, at 3:11 PM, Michael Schneider <michael.schneider at onway.ch> wrote:
>> I am using FreeRADIUS version 3.0.21. The server works as expected, but the generated REST request is weird in my opinion. The two attributes "Tunnel-Type (64)" and "Tunnel-Medium-Type (65)" are particularly special. The value type of them is an integer and this is also signaled via REST, but the value provided is the string representation of the integer.
>
>    I've pushed a fix for v3.0.x.  It always prints the integer value, and does not print the name.

In v4 this is configurable (in the code at least, possibly not yet in
rlm_rest). But the thing is the "type" is the RADIUS attribute type,
whereas the value contains the useful human-readable string value.
"type" doesn't mean the JSON type of the following value.

If it's an integer then it'll be a JSON integer (i.e. not
double-quoted). Relying on the value of "type" to know what JSON type it
is should be unnecessary; a JSON parser that needs to be told the type
is "integer" is broken.

The problem at the moment with no config option is that not everyone's
going to be happy. Personally I'd think that the original behaviour here
was most useful for most people, who wouldn't have an immediate clue
what Tunnel-Type 13 is - but "VLAN" makes a lot more sense.

Hopefully changing it won't break any existing deployments...

--
Matthew