LDAP groups and how to filter

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Feb 11 13:26:17 CET 2020

On Feb 10, 2020, at 8:56 PM, Daniel Oakes <daniel at 2600hz.com> wrote:

> I actually thought this was framed reasonably well, but okay more specifics.

  It was a solution in search of an answer.  I need to understand the problem.  That way you get the best solution.  The alternative is to give you an answer which did what you asked, but not what you wanted.

> It’s a fortigate – so I want to use Fortinet-Group-Name in post-auth.
>
> I would like to get all the groups that the user is a member of from LDAP, and I’m just going to use a very simple if statement in post-auth I know the syntax is wrong, just example) :
>
> if (LDAP-Group == "LDAP Group One") {
> 	update reply FG group1
> if (LDAP-Group == "LDAP Group Two") {
> 	update reply FG group 2
>
> And update the reply with the Fortinet-Group-Name.

  Sure.

> What I don't understand how to do, is to do the ldap bit for the groups so that it shows in the FreeRadius debug (using radiusd -X).  I want to see all the groups they may be a member of, so I can develop the logic further.

  FreeRADIUS isn't for LDAP debugging.  The LDAP server may return dozens, if not hundreds of groups.  FreeRADIUS won't print them all out.

  It *does* print out the LDAP queries it's using.  So you can take those queries, and use "ldapsearch" to run the search yourself, and then get the complete answer.