IP pools with rlm_sql_mongo + some general testing with MongoDB

Benjamin Thompson b.thompson at latera.ru
Fri Feb 14 16:07:10 CET 2020

Firstly, many thanks to all concerned for creatiing a MongoDB module.

I have been doing a bit of testing of IP address allocation from pools
in MongoDB and I wanted to share some thoughts and notes (in no
particular order) in case they are useful:

1) I noticed that rlm_sql_mongo expects any returned data to be in a
field called "value". This means that for example for a document which
defines an IP address entry in the pool the actual IP must be stored
in the "value" field instead of something like "framed_ip_address":
{
    pool_key: "foo"
    pool_name: "bar"
    expiry_time: xxx
    value: "192.168.1.1"
}
I don't see any problem with this, but I mention it in case it is
useful to anyone else who tests the module.

2) MongoDB requests generally use a lot of curly brackets so when
callied via %{sql: xx} it is necessary to escape them with an extra
percent symbol. So in the actual request any "}" should be replaced
with "%}". This also maybe useful info to anyone testing for the first
time.

3) In my case I wanted to implement an IP pool with "sticky addresses"
based on a unique PPP username. One point to note is that the method
findAndModify() does not support sorting by an exact value. So for
example it cannot simulate something like "ORDER BY foo <> bar" which
is possible with other databases. In my case I decided to work around
this using two seperate requests: the first one does a lookup by exact
string to see if we can allocate the same IP, then if this does not
return anything do a second lookup and sort by expiry_time to find the
oldest free IP. Due to this I implemented all the database requests
directly in unlang directly in the authorize section instead of using
the sqlippool module.

4) I did at one point test the sqlippool module with a variation of
the above logic by calling one request in allocate_clear and another
in allocate_find. However for some reason I noticed that
allocate_clear was not geting called every time and somehow the server
was skipping it and calling allocate_find immediately. It could have
been a problem with my configuration so I will try to repocude the
problem if I get time.

5) In general I am very pleased with the performance. For a pool
database with 20000 entries on a modest 6 core virtual machine I
reached 6000 requests per second with radperf.

--
Ben Thompson