run script on dhcp events

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jan 24 14:33:10 CET 2020

On Jan 24, 2020, at 8:26 AM, Семёнов Евгений Владимирович <sem at unn.ru> wrote:

> how can I run a script when the freeradius dhcp server returns the address back to the ip-pool?

  What do you mean "returns the address back to the ip-pool"?

  The addresses are maintained in a database.  The IPs are *always* in the pool.  They just change state.

  IPs are automatically re-used after they're expired.  This isn't "returning" to the pool, this is re-allocating them after they've expired.  This re-use is done via database queries, and FreeRADIUS doesn't control what's going on inside of the DB.

  DHCP clients don't need to notify servers when they stop using an address, either.  There's a DHCPRELEASE packet, but the client doesn't need to send it.

  So please explain a little more exactly what you want to do with the address, when you want to do this, and why.

  It sounds like you want something to happen, but you're not sure *when* it happens, or *how* DHCP works.  Explaining your requirements in more detail would be helpful.