Official plugin for Freeradius + OpenVPN?

Houman houmie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 21:04:18 CEST 2020

Hi Adrian and Alan,

I ended up compiling the master branch of pam_radius_auth.so to have the
latest. :)

However

*/etc/pam.d/pam_radius_auth.conf*
127.0.0.1                  secret             3

*/etc/pam.d/ovpn-0*
account sufficient      pam_permit.so
auth    required        pam_radius_auth.so
conf=/etc/pam.d/pam_radius_auth.conf

But the moment I activate it like this in OpenVPN and restart it:

*server.conf*
plugin /usr/local/lib/openvpn/plugins/openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so ovpn-0

I can no longer establish the VPN connection and the local freeradius is
not even hit.
I get this error in /var/log/openvpn/openvpn.log

89.32.123.xxx:18585 TLS Error: Auth Username/Password was not provided by
peer
89.32.123.xxx:18585 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

Is there a way to get more verbose logs to see what the issue is?
Based on my research the only way to activate the PAM for OpenVPN is to use
the plugin in the config as I did above.

Many Thanks,
Houman