UPN for AD authentication

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jun 2 16:23:49 CEST 2020

On Jun 2, 2020, at 10:18 AM, R3DNano <r3dnano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I configured the LDAP module, the user is found using
> "userPrincipalName" filter, however, now I get an error message: "ldap:
> WARNING: No "known good" password added. Ensure the admin user has
> permission to read the password attribute" - and the authentication fails.

 Yes....

> At first, I thought for some reason, FreeRADIUS was not getting the
> supplicant's password, but after some search, I understood this happens due
> to the user performing the LDAP bind not having enough rights to see
> passwords...

  No, it's because AD won't send passwords over an LDAP query.  This is well documented.

  If the packet contains a User-Password attribute, you can "bind as user" to AD, and it will work.  For MS-CHAP, however, you must use ntlm_auth or winbind.  That's how it works.

> however, I'm using the same user as I was using with the bind option, while
> using SAM instead of UPN and at the time, the user "seemed" able to read
> passwords.... at least, it was authenticating properly.

  Because it was using PAP.  Read the debug output.

> BTW, is it normal for the bind messages :
>
> rlm_ldap (ldap): Connecting to ldap://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:389
> rlm_ldap (ldap): Waiting for bind result...
> rlm_ldap (ldap): Bind successful
>
> To appear AFTER the "User object found" one?

  It depends.  If you just show 3 lines of debug output, I have no idea what else it's doing, or what it's configured to do.

  But yes, generally FreeRADIUS "does the right thing".  There's no magical setting which says "do stupid things".