EAP-TEAP support on the radar?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 19 17:01:48 CEST 2020

On Jun 19, 2020, at 10:34 AM, Graham Clinch <g.clinch at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> I've stumbled across a few slightly obscured mentions of EAP-TEAP support coming in the latest Windows 10 release - eg "EAP-TEAP is supported on Windows 10 v2004 operating system and later" from:
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-gpwl/6694fbb1-07cd-493a-93f3-dcbd025311ac#Appendix_A_25
>
> I think this is first time a widely deployed supplicant (with apologies to wpa_supplicant) will have TEAP support.

  Mostly.  It turns out that the TEAP RFC is incomplete, and can't really be implemented as-is.  Jouni Malinen has some updates to fix things, but I'm not sure if anyone else has implemented the same fixes.

> We would be absolutely ecstatic if we were able to use both computer and user credentials as part of the network placement decision (in particular for VPN sessions).

  Sure.

> Is TEAP support on a future-plans-list for FreeRADIUS?

  We have a lot of future plans.

  TBH the fastest way to get TEAP in is for someone to implement it.  It's 90% like EAP-FAST, so just copying that code and editing it would be a good start.

  The issue for us is that we have a long list of work items right now.  If TEAP is either contributed, *or* there's a strong demand for it, we can take a look at the list.  Otherwise, it will remain a "wishlist" item.